Answers to Frequently Misunderstood Facts 


Q - What do I do first?

A - Your first step is to become a member of Americas Mailbox, Inc.

Q - Do I have to be in South Dakota to join?

A - You do not have to be in South Dakota to join Americas Mailbox. It is very simple to join LONG-DISTANCE, through the U.S. Mail, FedEx, UPS, fax or email. Your signed originals must eventually be physically shipped to our office to fully open the account, but you may start by sending them electronically to receive your unique address.

Q - When I join, am I immediately a South Dakota resident?

A - No, you are not immediately a South Dakota resident. Your driver’s license is your main proof of residency. When you join you receive a unique address that is yours forever, and may be used legally to obtain a driver’s license, register to vote, etc. Per federal regulations, you must spend ONE (1) night every FIVE (5) years anywhere in South Dakota to obtain and renew your driver’s license. Beyond that your presence is NOT required.

Q - Do I need a South Dakota driver’s license to register my vehicles?

A - It is not necessary to have a SD drivers license to register your vehicles. If you do not have one, that’s OK. We can still get your plates for you. Your vehicles are registered to your Social Security number. Certain restrictions apply—you cannot receive any specialty plates until you have obtained the driver’s license. A physically disabled parking permit hangtag good for 6 months can be obtained without having a South Dakota driver’s license (when submitting the correct doctor’s form).

Q - Do I have to be in South Dakota to register my vehicles? Are there inspections and what will it cost?

A - You do NOT have to be in South Dakota to register your vehicle. You may use a combination of the U.S. Mail, FedEx, UPS, fax and email. South Dakota has NO vehicle inspections nor proof of insurance required for registration (or at any other time). Your original notarized power of attorney allows us to obtain your title (if held by a lienholder) and act on your behalf at the courthouse. We do all the work for you. We’ll fill out all your paperwork, we’ll stand in line for you, and we’ll walk out with your plates and registration. These are shipped to you per YOUR specific instructions.

Most cars and trucks run $75 to $125 per year, and RVs are $12 to $18 per thousand pounds of empty weight per year.

Q - Do I have to show proof of insurance prior to registering my vehicles?

A - It is not necessary to show proof of insurance prior to registering your vehicle. You may fill out the insurance questionnaire from our embedded independent vehicle insurance agency since insurance follows the plates in South Dakota. The agents can write and bind the coverage as soon as we obtain your plates.

Q - When I join, is my address changed automatically with the Post Office?

A - No. Only YOU can change your address, by contacting your correspondents individually, or by filling out a post office change-of-address card by following our supplied specific instructions.

Q - I ONLY want you to register my vehicles. Why do I need to become a member?

A - We give you the legal address to which your vehicles are registered. Since registrations run annually, you must have an annual plan with us. Our Bronze Plan is designed for this purpose—you have us handle your vehicle registrations and you receive only vehicle-related mail. You may also use the Bronze Plan for South Dakota residency.

Answers about your Address

Q - When I join, is my address changed automatically with the Post Office?

A - No, only YOU can change your address, by contacting your correspondents individually, or by filling out a post office change-of- address card by following our supplied specific instructions. It will take the post office about 2 weeks (possibly more) to put your address change into effect.

- What is my Americas Mailbox address good for?

A - Your Americas Mailbox address is good for:

  • Drivers License
  • Vehicle Registrations
  • Concealed Weapons Permits
  • Voters Registration
  • Vehicle Insurance
  • Wills and Trusts
  • Legal domicile
  • Passports
  • Packages of any size
  • Certified/Registered mail
  • Refrigerated medications
  • You can use your Americas Mailbox address to receive all, some or none of your mail. In addition you can use it to register all, some  or none of your vehicles.

Q - What will my Americas Mailbox address look like?

A - Your PMB (Personal Mail Box) address will be:

          Your Name

          514 Americas Way PMB XXXX

          Box Elder SD 57719-7600

Instead of the letters PMB, per USPS Regulations, you may use the # sign, as well as Apt#, Ste #, Unit #, etc.

Answers about your mailings

Q - How often do you send my mail? How is it sent?

A - How many times do you want it? That is entirely up to you. You set up one shipment or a series of them for whenever, wherever, however you wish.

We ship through the U.S. Postal Service and Fedex Air and Ground. Most shipments will have a tracking number that will be emailed to you when sent. USPS mail is usually not guaranteed, while FedEx Air shipments are guaranteed.

Q - Can I pick up my mail in person?

A - Of course. Providing you have access to the Internet simply set up a customer pickup on your secure home page on our web site by 7 a.m. on the day you’re coming in, and it will be up front and waiting for you by 10 a.m.

Q - What if I am looking for something specific?

A - On our traditional plans, email or call and let us know what you’re waiting for. We will check towards the end of the day when the mail has been put up and email you back. Of course on our scanning plans you see the front of every envelope and package as it comes in.

Q - What types of things can you ship?

A - Anything as allowed by US law. Medications can be shipped anywhere in the world with the proper customs declarations. We can even ship unloaded firearms, but not ammunition.

Q - What are your business hours?

Monday-Friday 9-5 Mountain time. In the summer we may have Saturday and even Sunday hours.

Answers about driver’s license/voting:

Q - How do I get a South Dakota driver’s license? What does it cost?

A - Per Federal Regulations, you must spend one night anywhere in South Dakota and bring all the correct documents (insert link to our web page). A regular license costs $28 and is good for 5 years. CDL holders have all their endorsements transferred automatically (except for HazMat) and that cost is $35.

Q - How do I register to vote?

A - Once you have obtained the driver’s license, ask our office to mail you or hand you the forms for voter’s registration. Our county auditor recognizes your unique situation, and so both your mailing address and residential address are the same—your legal PMB address—for voting purposes.

Q - How do I get absentee ballots?

A - Once you are registered, you must fill out the absentee ballot request form each calendar year. You must indicate which elections you wish to vote in, and the ballot will be sent to your address at Americas Mailbox about 6 weeks before that election.